Saturday, July 14, 2012

Jewelry for Generations

Hello everyone,

What a nice Saturday.  My husband and I had a good time today.  To get out of the house, we decided to visit a newer antique mall that opened a while ago in my home town.  Turns out it was much more that I had thought was there.  It was nice walking down memory lane and seeing all the wonderful things from the past. Some of these items were very old, over 100 years, and some were not quit as old.

I think I have a jewelry radar or something, it doesn't seem to matter if there is a lot of stuff in the booth, I always tend to find the sparkle.  I'm just drawn to it.  As I looked over all these beautiful pieces I got to thinking, how did these pieces last so long.

As I thought, I decided it came down to taking care of your jewelry.  If you take care of it – it will last for many generations. Recently, I was at a family pool party and saw a friend wear her jewelry in the pool.  I don't recall if she ever got it wet (by submersion) but I was surprised to see jewelry worn in the pool.

I have always taken off my swarovski crystals when swimming, cleaning or doing anything that I think will harm them.  I want my jewelry to look its best for as long as I own it, whether thats a couple years or a couple decades.  :)

So I decided to find out how to clean crystal jewelry in case the piece in question becomes dull and dirty.  I figured there would be a lot of information on this topic, but I was wrong.  I did find a few websites, but many of them had conflicting information.  Some sites said "do not immerse crystals in water" and other sites said the opposite.  But the sites did agree that it is recommended to stay away from harsh jewelry and sonic cleaners.  And when it comes to cleaning the Swarovski Pearls, each site recommended that the pearls be buffed with a soft cloth and NOT to wash them.

And here is a tip that I have practiced as long as I remember, I think my Mom did this also. When getting ready for the day, your jewelry should be the last items that you put on.  This keeps the lotions, perfume and other items from coating or giving your jewelry a dull film.


Well, I hope your projects will last, and if you stop by the shop, Beadin' Mon!, or shop the website, www.beadinmon.com, feel free to ask questions.  I know the staff will be happy to help.  And I will be sure to pass any care tips along when I find out more.  So on this note, I wish you a happy summer day and until next time Happy Beadin'




No comments:

Post a Comment