Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Gift

Hi, I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day weekend.  It was a beautiful sunny day.  Holidays. special events, and even "just because" are always great times to make a special handcrafted piece of jewelry for someone you love.

Unfortunately, my Mom pasted many years ago. But my Dad remarried to a wonderful lady.  Almost every special occasion I make something for her. She likes more of the classic looking jewelry, like pearls.  So, this year I decided to try something new, knotting. A classic twist to a modern bracelet.  It turns out this is very easy to do and kind of relaxing, except when I put too many knots on.  Oops.  Oh well, we all make a boo boo sometimes.  Luckily I was able to pick the knot out.  Ya!

The knot serves a couple different purposes.  First it evenly spaces out the beads.  Secondly it also acts as a stopper (for lack of another word). Like, if you were to catch you bracelet or necklace on something and it were to break- with a knotted bracelet you may only loose one or two beads, as opposed to no knots then you would lose a good portion of the strand.  That would be a bummer, especially if they were expensive stones.

This is a bracelet using the knotting technique.  It's almost to the end, just putting on the clasps.
The hardest thing for me to figure out is what size thread that I needed to use.  I got the wrong size (too small), as you can see I have four strings on my bracelet (your only suppose to have two).  Oops - oh well.  I just doubled up and it seemed to work out okay. I guess this bracelet will be extra strong. :)

I believe the beads in my photo are Landscape Jasper, Golden Shadow and Copper Swarovski crystals to add a little sparkle.  Stop by the shop to pick up your supplies or shop our online store at www.beadinmon.com.  Check out a class or two, looks like we have few knotting type classes on the calendar, such as the "Knotted Sterling" class on May 31st at 5:00pm.

Again, I hope you all had a great Mother's Day, and until next time, Happy Beadin'


No comments:

Post a Comment