Friday, February 10, 2012

One of My First Experiments

Today I was hoping to show you some things that I used jump rings on, but I forgot I loaned out most my pieces for a friend to look at.  So instead, I'm going to show you one of my first experiments.  Earlier in the week, I showed you how to work with jumprings, and this project does have a jumpring or two in it.  :)

At the time I made this I was getting ready to graduate from college and I had these really neat earrings that I wanted to wear for graduation. I had the outfit and everything picked out.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a necklace that matched.  But luckily I had started to dabble in jewelry making and thought "I could make one".

So as my earrings as my inspiration I built a pendant that went with them.  I took a little bit of chain, several sizes of sterling silver beads and some headpins and got to work.  I stacked the beads on the headpins and attempted to create loops at the top to attach to the chain.  My loops are rough looking, but I was happy with it at the time.   I then needed a way to put it on a neck chain, or cord and that is where the jumpring comes in.


After creating this piece, I decided to make it a little bit longer and to add a few more larger beads.  So I got another little piece of chain, added the beads and then attached the small piece of chain to the larger piece with another small jumpring.

The lesson here is don't be afraid to experiment, it is fun to figure this out and have that "I got it" moment.  And some pretty neat things can come out of experimenting.

If you are ever in the need for supplies to complete a project or supplies to simply play with and experiment, be sure to stop by Beadin' Mon!  They carry all types of beads, and various sizes of jumprings, chain and cording for your creating pleasure. You may just find the makings for your next necklace, pendant, earrings or whatever makes you sparkle with delight.

Have a wonderful weekend and until Monday, happy beading.







No comments:

Post a Comment