Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Working with Glass

Ahhh, spring is in the air.  It was so nice today we had the windows open.

Last night I went to our area Bead Society meeting, and we had a guest speaker who taught us about glass bead making.  It was very interesting.  In fact it reminded me of the glass fusing class that I took at Beadin' Mon.  In class, we didn't use any torches, but had a great time in learning about working with glass.  Although it was fun picking out the elements and putting them together, I know I still have a lot to learn on this subject.


These are the pieces that I did in the class. The one on the left we learned about these sheets of glass, how to snip it into shapes and put it on a backer.  The teacher than took it and fired it to finish the glass portion of the project. We also learned how to do a little stitching work using seed beads to make a bezel to complete the look.

The one on the right is where we learned about 14kt gold decals and how to adhere them to the glass. The teacher also took this one and fired too.  I then purchased a gold bail and glued it on the back using jewelry glue. String it on a simple gold necklace and viola, a cute little addition to my jewelry collection.  I love it simplicity.

I think both pieces turned out really nice.  In an upcoming posting I am going to start sharing some information on the stitching of jewelry making.  This is fun and I always think of my mom the seamstress when I do it.  It seems like she always had a needle and thread in her hands.

If you are in need of seed beads, bails, chain or any findings in general, keep Beadin' Mon! in mind.  We have lots to choose from.  If you are unable to get to the store, check out our new shopping area on our website at beadinmon.com.  And remember if you have an idea for a class make a suggestion and you may just see it on the calendar.  Happy beading until friday when we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment